Sweet Corn Nutritional Value
Sweet corn is a type of corn that is harvested while the kernels are still soft and sweet. It is a popular summertime treat in the United States.
One ear of sweet corn contains about:
- Calories: 77
- Carbohydrates: 16 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 3 grams
- Fat: 2 grams
- Vitamin C: 2.6 mg
- Vitamin B1: 0.1 mg
- Vitamin B6: 0.1 mg
- Folate: 23 micrograms
- Potassium: 166 mg
- Magnesium: 7 mg
- Phosphorus: 80 mg
- Copper: 0.1 mg
Sweet corn (ข้าวโพดหวาน) is a good source of fiber. One ear of sweet corn has about 2 grams of fiber, which is more than 7 percent of the recommended daily fiber intake for women, and 5 percent for men. It is also a good source of thiamine, niacin and vitamins A, B6 and C. Sweet corn also contains several minerals, including phosphorus and potassium.
Sweet corn is a good source of several nutrients, including:
- Vitamin C: A water-soluble vitamin that acts as an antioxidant and helps to protect the body against damage from free radicals.
- Vitamin A: A fat-soluble vitamin that is essential for vision and immune function.
- Folic acid: A water-soluble vitamin that is important for cell growth and development.
- Potassium: A mineral that is important for fluid balance, muscle contraction, and nerve function.
- Magnesium: A mineral that is important for energy production, muscle contraction, and nerve function.
- Soluble fiber: A type of dietary fiber that dissolves in water and helps to regulate bowel movements.
- Insoluble fiber: A type of dietary fiber that does not dissolve in water and helps to add bulk to the stool.
- The nutrient content of sweet corn can vary depending on the variety and growing conditions. Sweet corn is also a good source of thiamin, niacin, and vitamin B6.
Ways to Enjoy Sweet Corn
There are many ways to enjoy sweet corn, including:
- On the cob: simply boil or grill the ears of corn and enjoy
- Off the cob: cut the kernels off the cob and add to salads, soups, or other dishes
- roasted: try roasting the ears of corn in the oven for a unique flavor
- grilled: cook the corn on the grill for a smoky flavor
- in a soup: add sweet corn to your favorite soup recipe
Sweet Corn Recipes
Looking for some delicious ways to enjoy sweet corn? Try one of these recipes:
- Grilled Corn Salad: a summertime favorite
- Sweet Corn Soup: a creamy and comforting soup
- Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salsa: perfect for entertaining
- Cilantro Lime Corn on the Cob: an easy and flavorful side dish